Army launches strike forces against Boko Haram in north east

Posted August 16, 2017

According to him, two women bombers and another male bomber carried out the attacks at a busy local market in the area. They detonated their explosives nearly simultaneously, Lawan Kalli said. At least 27 people were killed and some 83 were injured.

"Our village is right at the entrance into Konduga town and that is where both the camp and the makeshift market are situated, which made us an instant target point of the insurgents", said Kalli, the village chief.

The news channel quoted a medic from a hospital in Maiduguri as saying that 28 people were killed at the explosion site, while two others died after being taken to a hospital.

More news: Three people dead in Kenosha County shooting

A female bomber reportedly detonated explosives strapped to her body, killing herself and 27 others.

The Boko Haram who had lost most of the territory they once controlled across Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states to Nigerian forces, have since the start of 2017 appeared emboldened. But it has struck back with renewed zeal since June, killing at least 143 people before Tuesday's bombings and weakening the army's control.

While the Nigerian Air Force are of the opinion that the sect has been dealt with substantially, the military and Borno state governor agree that the fight is far from over.

More news: China pressed iron ore traders to halt business even before United Nations sanctions

The attack comes on the same day the Military launched Mobile Strike Teams into the Theatre of operation to enhance operational efficiency. Media houses were attacked in April 2012, leaving at least 8 people dead. Boko Haram has reportedly killed more than 20,000 people and displaced more than 2.6 million people so far in its eight-year insurgency.

Authorities attributed the attacks on Tuesday to the Boko Haram militant group, Xinhua news agency reported.

More news: Mega Millions jackpot raised to $393M