Saudi FM: Qatar boycott to remain until Arab states' demands met

Posted July 07, 2017

THE foreign ministers of Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt have criticised the "negative" response from Qatar to their list of demands, prolonging the month-long stand-off. He also criticized Qatar for failing to realize the gravity of the situation.

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said the four countries reiterated the necessity to combat terrorism and to dry up its sources.

"With respect to future measures, we are in constant communication".

The list was "made to be rejected", Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani said during his visit to Rome, Reuters reported.

The GCC includes Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain, Oman, Kuwait and Qatar.

More news: Short Says Repealing Obamacare With Later Replacement an Option

Qatar has refused to bow to the demands and did not meet the initial ten-day deadline for a response to the ultimatum.

The four states went on to call for an emergency meeting - to convene in Bahraini capital Manama - to discuss the ongoing inter-Arab political crisis.

Despite the optimism from those in the Europe and the U.S., officials from the countries that accuse Doha of financing and promoting extremism say that Qatar's rejection of their demands means additional measures are now being discussed.

Saudi's Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir highlighted that they will "take the right steps at the right time" without going into details while stressing that "Qatar must change its policies for our stance to change".

He added that economic boycott against Qatar will remain until the country changes its policies for the better.

More news: Weather Authority Forecast for Tuesday, June 27

The Qatari foreign minister said earlier on Wednesday the siege of the country by Arab states is "clear aggression and insult, " and the crisis should be solved through "dialogue, no blockade". They need "more time to figure out measures that would increase the pressure on Qatar without violating worldwide law or engendering a negative response from the global community".

However, Emirati Foreign Minister Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan was more belligerent in his criticism of Qatar, saying it is only interested in "destruction, incitement, extremism and terrorism".

On June 5th this year, the above-mentioned countries in the Gulf, severed diplomatic ties with Qatar citing the latter's support for extremist groups and terrorist organizations, as well as meddling in other countries' affairs.

The military option appears to be off the table and diplomatic pressure on Qatar will split the Gulf Cooperation Council, Bishara said.

Kuwait's emir is working to mediate the dispute, and U.S. President Donald Trump, in a call with Egyptian counterpart Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi, urged "all parties to negotiate constructively to resolve the dispute", the White House said in a statement.

More news: Donald Trump, Putin set to meet at G20 summit: Russian official

Saudi Arabia also sealed its land border with Qatar, geographically isolating the tine Gulf state.